Subject: Re: Definition of business process

Hi Bob,

You will find in the § below my interpretation of what is usually meant by "Business Process" and business modeling as understood in
business analysis activities (an activity part of software engineering in general). This definition is a bit more abstract that the
ones which have been given so far but all what has been said in the other related mails are good examples (instances) of business
prcesses in general. That's why I will not give additional examples here.

<A business process can be a set of consecutive and/or simultaneous operations that contributes to the achievement or realisation of
a business objective or of a well defined business activity.
The operations can be manual as well as automated or semi-automated and involved none, one or more actors/parties. A business
process can be global (coarse) or specific (fine-grained). Coarse business processes may usually be decomposed into one or more
sub-processes (or finer-grained processes).>

Business modeling is one of the most important activity of Business Analysis. Business modeling is mainly about understanding a
business and defining the business domain (also called the "business problem domain") and the business context. Understanding the
business is namely done by identifying the Business Processes i.e. what is this business all about. The result of this, the business
models, are only an abstraction of the "real-world". The reason to go through business modelling is usually for business
reengineering or business improvement. The objective is, instead of starting from an existing implementation of a business process
to see how to improve it (bottom up appraoch), is first to understand what are the tasks to be achieved and the relationships with
the other processes (i.e. a top down approach) an then to (re-)define a (usually better) way to implement it.

Now, one of the best way used in business analyis to describe a business process is the "use case" which include usually a
description of actors, the activities /courses of events involved in the process.

Some good references in this area are the "Catalysis" method by Desmond d'Souza and Alan Wills or "Applying UML and Patterns" by
Craig Larman.

Hope it helps understanding.
Best regards
Jacques