Subject: RE: Comments update

Hi.

I would still go with Rachel's original recommendation that the files be
shared in .pdf (Portable Document Format) format.  The Acrobat software is
not very expensive, and it takes seconds to convert a .doc to .pdf.
Although most people can read .doc files (including some of my colleagues at
Sun ;-)), not everyone is on a Microsoft platform or has the tools to read
Microsoft files.  PDF is a format that can be read by everyone (whether they
are on Windows, Unix or Linux), and the Acrobat reader is available for
free.

I know its been suggested in the past that files be posted to the web, and
not attached to e-mail messages (of course, that begs the question of access
for timely postings to the web site).  Put a URL in the email message, and
make relevant forms of the file available (.mdl, .doc., .pdf) on the
referenced URL.  Not only is there a cost involve with replicating a file
for each recipient on a list, but with more and more viruses going around,
some companies are resorting to deleting attachments before the e-mail gets
to the recipient, or worse yet, not allowing e-mails with attachments to be
delivered.

Also worth noting is that, on average, a .pdf version is 1/2 the size of its
.doc source (and sometimes as small as 1/10th the size), making it a more
economical format if e-mail attachments must be used.

Just a thought.