Subject: another example

Hi,
Here is another example of the use of our business process model.
It is small enough that it fits on a single page, so I didn't
use UML diagrams, just a simple 'home-grown' rendering.

The scenario is from the travel industry.
A broker offers to take a single request for an itinerary,
fan it out to a number of travel services, and provide
a list of itineraries back.
In this example it is a travel agent that sends the initial
request, a travel broker that does the fanning out, and three travel services
such as airlines or passenger railroads that provide the individual
itineraries back to the broker.

The names of the actual companies in our example are
	A1 Travel Agent
	BXS Travel Broker
	Galileo (GRS) Travel Service
	Sabre (SRS) Travel Service
	Amadeus (ARS) Travel Service

The way to read the diagram:
	On the left hand you have the names of the classes in the
	metamodel.
	On the right hand you have instances of those classes,
	with lines showing instances of associations between the
	class instances. (For space reasons we have 'doubled up' on
	some of the line segments, so you may have to follow a given
	line with your finger to see where it is really going)

	An easy way to think of this diagram is if you read top-down
	you get a description of the business process down to and
	including the business messages required.
	If you read bottom-up you see the parties and the interfaces
	they provide for other parties to do business with them within
	this process.

Hope this example helps shed additional light on our intended
use of the meta model, it is also useful in that we have used
it the EDOC analysis at OMG.

-karsten
Karsten Riemer,
Director, Information Architecture,
Enterprise Management Architecture Group
Sun Microsystems Inc.,
MailStop UBUR03-313
1 Network Drive,
Burlington, MA 01803-0903