Subject: RE: Business Process Modeling Language (BPML)

Surely, the artificial boundaries of internal systems have been been set by
legacy applications which gradually creep outwards as other business
processes are added to the original design. But who is to say that whilst
one company uses its applications to undertake all of its business
processes, another, in an identical market using simialr systems may choose
to outsource many of its processes. The outsourced business processes will
still have to talk to the inhouse business processes - the problem is that
the legacy designers never conceived that instead of one single goliath
there could be many 'best of breed' business process systems that all fitted
together to generate the same business functionality. All movement of data
or instructions between business processes should use a common framework -
there should not be the necessity to differentiate between B2B and A2A.

andrew.chilcott@stpsolutions.com
19-21 Great Tower Street, London EC3R 5AR
Tel:	+44 207 929 7600
Fax:	+44 207 929 7601
Mobile:	07775 564166
http://www.stpsolutions.com

-----Original Message-----
From: Robert Dakin [mailto:dakin@pcug.org.au]
Sent: 22 August 2000 03:24
To: 'ebXML Business Process'

On Mon, 21 Aug 2000 11:43:54 -0400, Paul R. Levine wrote:

>I have to agree with Bob.
>
>One of the claims of BPML is that the semantics of business information
>      exchanged within an enterprise is different from that in B2B
exchanges.  I
>      fundamenally disagree with that claim, if I understand it correctly.
>      Telcordia COMMON LANGUAGE Products, originally developed for A2A
>      interoperability among business applications in the old Bell System,
are
>      now predominantly used throughout North America,and growing
>      internationally for flow-through exchanges of business information of
>      telecom service providers that must inteoperate.

Paul,

I have a question and a comment.

Can you point me to information on Telcordia COMMON LANGUAGE
Products?

I would expect the semantics of business information exchanged
within an enterprise to be a *superset* of that in B2B exchanges,
with some additional internal functionality not connected with B2B.
It is a bit like Internet mail programs - not all provide the same
functionality to users, but they had better support the same
communication protocols.

Regards,
Robert
Dr Robert Dakin
Dakin Technology
daktec@pcug.org.au
Home page:   http://www.pcug.org.au/~daktec/
Tel: +61 2 6255 1436  Fax: +61 2 6255 1304