Subject: RE: Collaboration Services (was: Business Service Interface)

I am having a bit of trouble here.  The trouble is in relation to activity
graphs (which are state machines) and pre/post conditions (Which are
expressions).  It seemed that there was good agreement on the use of
activity graphs.  This provides for the sequencing of messages as well as
commercial transactions with all the power of a state machine (which if
anything is more than required).  I don't see why pre/post conditions are
also being used at all and I have not seen any example that could not be
expressed more simply in an activity graph.

The reasons not to have both are;
1) Simplicity - we should use as few constructs as we can, activity graphs
are already being used.
2) Coupling.  Pre/post conditions are expressions which will require
internal "variables" and such, exposing or constraining implementation.
Also, binding a full expression syntax and Meta model into UML is complex
(See OCL).
3) It is much easier to automate the execution of a state machine
4) Activity graphs are more visual

So, why not use activity graphs (or a subset of them) for all sequencing
semantics?

Regards,
Cory Casanave