Subject: RE: Public Review of Specification Schema v0.90 and proposal for simplified design patterns.

John,

Thank you for the thoughtful review and response to my proposal on the simplification of the business transaction design patterns.

I would like to clarify that the main purpose of my proposal is to consolidate the 4 business transaction design patterns that include the responding document from 4 to 2 because there is no clear, testable, and easily “implement able” performance control parameter in the section 4.4 of the N090 that differentiate 3 of the 4 design patterns.

I had a different experience on the acceptance of the “Acknowledgment of Acceptance”  by the RosettaNet community.   The feedback that I’d heard from the Supply Chain Partners (which were represented by the business users, and not the Solution providers) on all the workshops was that they do not see a value in the additional “separate Acknowledgment of Acceptance”  signal.  They saw it as an overhead action, which could not be accomodated easily and is not used (or planned to be used) by their backend ERP systems.  They prefer to include the “Acknowledgment of Acceptance”  in the responding substantive document (just like you’d mentioned at the end of your response and like I suggest in my document) and to deal with the content non-compliance on the exception basis.  This exception will be included in the responding document and returned to the requester as soon as it is discovered.  This feedback was expressed by Motorola, Cisco, Bourns, Lucent and other Supply Chain partners on the RosettaNet workshops.

I know that at least one Solution Provider has a solution that can accommodate the “Acknowledgment of Acceptance”  parameter in their first version of the software, and I suspect that there are others that could support it as well.   So, I believe that the main reason of the elimination of this signal was the feedback from the Supply Chain Partners expressed via the Solution Providers at the RNIF 2.0 development team.  But this is a moot point now.

In my proposal I did include the “Acknowledgment of Acceptance”  in the property values table for the design patterns with the ability to override it.  At the same time I do question the necessity to have this as a separate performance control parameter based on my experience.  Here is what I said in the section 4 of the document:

Open issues for this table:

a.        I left the Acknowledgement of Acceptance parameter in, but would like to recommend to consider the removal of this parameter, unless there are known existing scenarios that require the use of this parameter.”

Similar concerns were expressed by Kurt Kanaskie from Lucent.  See below.