Subject: Re: Is ebXML viable without basic collaborations?

Todd,

People who attended the ebXML organizing meeting in December 1999 were saying
exactly the same thing, though perhaps not as eloquently or specifically.  In
addition, they were saying that we needed it in the first six months of the
work effort, not at the end.  As the work effort developed, it became
apparent that ebXML would not deliver anything as specific as you suggest,
but would focus on the technical infrastructure and analysis methodologies
that would facilitate creating what you suggest.  It would be left to other
groups to create the BP definitions and schemas.  With two months left, even
if BP and CC decided to take a drastic change in direction and try to do what
you suggest, there isn't time left to do it in ebXML.  It will need to be
done by whatever group or groups that use the work products of ebXML to
produce cross industry BP definitions and schemas.

My own 2 cents worth is that we missed the window of opportunity about nine
months ago.  That doesn't mean that our efforts will be futile, it just means
that we won't have nearly the impact that we could have.

Regards,