Subject: Reply to Stuart's: Help BP Specs

-----Original Message-----
From: Hayes, Brian
Sent: Monday, April 02, 2001 4:42 PM
To: 'stuart.campbell@tieglobal.com'
Cc: Paul R. Levine (E-mail); Marcia McLure (E-mail); Karsten Riemer
(E-mail)
Subject: RE: Help BP Specs

Stuart,

Please see my comments and questions below.  Your feedback is most welcomed.

Cheers,
Brian Hayes

[Brian] Just to clarify, the BP project team has only submitted on
specification (ebXML Business Process Specification Schema), the rest are
supportive documents.
   Beyond what you specific questions, below, are there any other topics
that we should discuss further to better describe how the documents work
together?

> Specifically how do you populate a BP XML schema from the worksheet

[Brian] The primary focus of the Business Process project team has been on
the modeling of business processes; however, we have provided a schema for
"executable" business process specifications. As I understand, the
Context/Metamodel team (a.k.a. Specification Schema team) is responsible for
providing the mapping from the Business Process Specification Schema to the
UMM/TMWN090 eBusiness Process Metamodel.  The high-level mapping between the
eBusiness Process Metamodel and the analysis worksheet model is illustrated
in the diagrams in the Business Process Analysis Worksheets & Guidelines
document.  There is no plan to provide a mapping from the Worksheets to the
Business Process Specification Schema.  We believe that a person/team who is
knowledgable in the UMM/TMWN090 eBusiness Process Metamodel and the Business
Process Specification Schema should be able to do the mapping without much
trouble (it would be worth ask Jim Clark his opinion on this).
   While it would certainly be nice to provide a
Worksheets-to-Specification-Schema mapping, do you think it is a requirement
to do so before/by Vienna?

> The BP overview says that simpletons like my self should define a UMM
> compliant specification with the help of worksheets and then that 'the
> expectation is that after the worksheets have been completed,
> there will be
> sufficient information to mechanically produce a metamodel based
> specification of the modelled business processes'.  So far so good.

> Now the issue is where is the mechanical mapping?  im not
> looking for a tool
> but i was kind of expecting a simple mapping table to show me
> how a get from
> the worksheets to the xml schema.  For example where to the
> fields of the
> business reference model ( table in line 367) go, or the
> next, or the next
> etc.  If there is no map, then what use are the worksheets???
[Brian] There are no plans to provide a mechanical mapping beyond what is
illustrated in the high-level mapping diagrams in the Business Process
Analysis Worksheets & Guidelines document.

Sincerely,
Brian Hayes