Subject: RE: BP modeling - followup to Apr 11 Analysis conf call

Todd,

Let me answer both as an early member of the BP team and as a modeling tool
vendor.

1. The overall idea of the BPSS is to produce the XML DTD that all ebXML
Business process will have to conforme to.
This XML layer is the only think we can rely on for interoperability
because.
	a. It will have to face true validation when used by runtime engine.
	b. It is an independent format that can stand of its own and is XML
based.
	c. This format is neutral considering any vendor tool (design tool
and runtime engine).

2. The UMM stands for two things. First it is a meta-model, second a way to
model business process according to the meta-model: the is a methodology.
On the meta-model side, UMM is effectively a superset of the BPSS. It is so
because of the methodology that covers requirements phases that the BPSS is
not concerned with. There are some differences (most minor in my mind)
between UMM and BPSS that can be fixed easily.
On the methodology side, I'm often surprised to hear that UMM should be
mandatory. It's good to have guidelines. But they are not laws. Everybody
knows that each project has it's own way to implement a methodology. This
should even be first step of a project: Determine it's own procedures based
on recommended methodologies.

3. There is sometime confusion between UMM and UML. The UMM meta-model is
based on UML(version 1.3) adding specific elements to it to cover process
definition. These extensions are called a profile for UML (in OMG
terminology).
So the UMM is an extension of UML. Being compliant with UMM means being
compliant with UMM extension of UML. (In terms of tool interoperability,
this is an important point. That means that each UML tool has to implement
UML extensions the same way. Guess what the reality is.....).

4. On the pure vendor side, MEGA International is implementing the ebXML
specification today. As we have extended business process modeling, we can
also support the UMM. I think competitors will also support ebXML.
Some of them will come from pure UML side: they will propose an
implementation of the UMM profile for UML.
Some other will build a direct BPE tool.

5. Tool interoperability. This is the difficult subject.
Just quote Bob:
> BPE-generated models should conform to the UMM Metamodel
>.If they are to be stored in ebXML repositories,
> it should be in a neutral format that can be shared
> also by full UML tool
> (The BP work group should decide which neutral format to specify,
> XMI, RDF or whatever.)

A. UML is not neutral. It has a version: 1.3. Version 1.4 is coming soon and
version 2.0 is on the track (MEGA International is part of these working
groups at the OMG). So what version of UML should be stored for ebXML: the
oldest one?
B. UMM is an extension of UML. The reality is that tool vendors (we do our
best however) always have slightly different ways to implement extensions.
SQL is a standard but Oracle and Db2 have their own extensions (That make
the value of each products).
C. The weakest point is to come. It concerns diagramming. There is no
standard way today to specify how diagrams can be exchanged in XML. The
current UML specification is too weak (you lose data). The OMG is working on
that subject but it will take time: to specify, to implement. So diagram
exchange is not easy today (it is not a matter of XMI, RDF, ..., but of what
content is stored is these formats).

To summarize: Tool interoperability is improving but some work has still to
be done.
The ultimate reliable format for ebXML BP is the one described by the BPPSS.

This format can be easily handled by SMEs. It can cover simple or complex
processes. It can be produced manually or by BPE tools. MEGA, we are
committed to deliver that format.
Runtime software has to come. Surely the major participants of ebXML will
provide you with such a software. The proof of concept is demonstrating
their capabilities at each meeting.

Antoine LONJON
Chief Architect
MEGA International US