Subject: RE: Example RN PIP 3A4 in BPSS

JJ,

Warning, strong coffee recommended :)

I agree with your statements in principle. I'm all for reuse and
standardization. Clearly evaluating document contents is not needed when
there is a one to one relationship between the intent and the message. But
when a single message is used to convey both positive and negative responses
something is needed. This is the case for both RosettaNet and OAG.

Therefore, considering the fact that two of the more popular standards
(RosettaNet, OAG) do not follow your "good design principle" the use of
XPath is (IMHO) the best recommendation. Without it, how would we use the
BPSS with these standards?

The real question/issue I see is how to specify this using the BPSS. I've
struggled with this concept before. What is the relationship between
"isPositiveResponse" in the DocumentEnvelope and  "guardExpression" in
BinaryCollaboration/Success and BinaryCollaboration/Failure? And what are
real world examples. Initially I used two DocumentEnvelopes with an XPath in
isPositiveResponse to indicate positive and negative. Then after some
discussion with the BP team, it was expressed that this should be in the
guardExpression. I thought the RosettaNet example was the correct usage.
Again, I am struggling.

Since a BinaryCollaboration references a BusinessTransaction, and since a
BusinessTransaction defines Activities which in turn reference
BusinessDocuments and potentially XPath expressions, a BinaryCollaboration
will never be able to be completely decoupled. So the best case scenario is
that the same BinaryCollaboration is reused (copy/pasted) with reference to
a different BusinessTransaction (one change). Worst case is the same
BinaryCollaboration is reused (copy/pasted) with reference to a different
BusinessTransaction and changes to each guardExpression (three changes).

To help work through this issue and to come to a standard resolution and
recommendation, consider the two instances of the RosettaNet 3A4 PIP
attached.
* RNPIP_3A4_A.xml uses a single DocumentEnvelope with an XPath expression in
isPositiveResponse. In this example what goes in guardExpression? Does a
guardExpression of "true" imply the result of the isPositiveResponse
expression. If so, I would like this to be explicitly stated in the spec.
* RNPIP_3A4_B.xml uses a single DocumentEnvelope with XPath expressions in
each guardExpression. Although it does not follow the "good design
principle" it is explicit and deterministic.
 <<RN_PIP_3A4_A.xml>>  <<RN_PIP_3A4_B.xml>>
Lets decide which is the correct usage or propose "the" correct usage.
Best Regards,

Kurt Kanaskie
IT Architecture Strategy Group
Lucent Technologies