Subject: UMM, modeling and alignment (was Example RN PIP 3A4)

JJ, your comment is an excellent and important point.

For now we have deliberately kept the BPSS object model open, with a
variety of alignment paths at the expense of simplicity.

XPath probably facilitates half-hearted partial adoption of ebXML business
processes by some, and may be misused by others.   The risk is that some
legacy users, or legacy-driven vendors, will make the minimal alignment and
them re-freeze themselves at a low level of interoperability.   I don't
think that is avoidable;  we must facilitate wide adoption.   XPath plays a
useful role there.   My hope is that the upgrade path to logically modelled
transactions will exert an upward pull on users, once they dip their feet
in the pool.

UMM/UML expressions of reusable transactions are the "bait" for this
upgrade path to greater interoperability.   I think that is why so many of
us strongly support ebXML's bias towards modelling and UMM.  That metamodel
is not perfect, but it's pretty good, reasonably vendor-neutral, in use in
commerce, and within reach.

After Vienna one of our continuing projects for discussion should be a set
of best practices for use of the specs, that nudge people in that "right"
direction.

Our job is to be the good guys in e-commerce.   After we crack open a few
bottles of Gewurztrammer this week, the next order of business is to blow a
bunch of attractive, reusable business processes and components into
repositories, make them discoverable through logical expression, and see if
the world bites.

Best regards    Jamie

- - -
James Bryce Clark
Spolin Silverman & Cohen LLP
310 586 2404    jbc@lawyer.com

At 07:55 AM 5/7/2001,  Jean-Jacques Dubray wrote:
>Kurt:
>
>Thanks for this great work.
>
>I would like to emphasize one point: we should avoid using XPath
> expression on the message document because this makes
>collaborations much less reusable across standards. I understand
>that this is not feasible in the case of RN but moving forward, a good
>design principle would be to use distinct document formats to
>express different intend. The binding at the format level would
>happen in the DocumentSpecification.
>
>This might look like a little step one way or the other, however,
>converging at the "business collaboration" level is even more
>important than converging at the format level. Formats can most
>often be mapped to each other, it can quickly become un-
>manageable to map and adapt business processes to a slew of
>nearly identical collaborations. Once a collaboration is in place an
>agreed upon by an industry or an eco-system, it is relatively simple to
>manage N different document formats flowing through the same
>infrastructure as they are nicely decoupled from each other.
>
>Jean-Jacques Dubray, Chief Architect
>eXcelon Corp.

* * *