Subject: RE: UMM, modeling and alignment (was Example RN PIP 3A4)

I have enjoyed reading this thread as it resonates with the discussions that
Antoine Lonjon and I had with Karsten Riemer and Cory Casonove in Vienna.
My recommedation was that the specificaiton schema support the ability for
one to specify the modeling/expression scheme associated with a guard
expression.  Jim Clark pointed out that this is supported by the UMM
Metamodel.  Karsten and Cory made appropriate changes to the BPSS and I look
forward to reading the details.

With respect to the use of XPATH: I think XPATH use is fine providing you
know what document model you are using it against.  Furthermore, the
document model could be document schema specific or could be one that is an
agreed upon model that does not necessarily have a specific schema
implementation.  For example, a community could agree that all purchase
orders have an order issued date.  It may not be important that the order
issued date be modeled as part of the order header.  So, my reference to the
order issued date in a community model might be: Order/IssuedDate or
Order.IssuedDate or Order:IssuedDate.  The use of slash, period, or colon as
seperators does not really mater.  I like slashes as it will facilate XPATH
based tools that might be used to map XML documents to/from community
models.  Note in the previous example, if one was using the document
schema/DTD, the expression might look like Order/OrderHeader/IssuedDate.

I would encourage people to read the example in the Business Process
Analysis Worksheets and Guidelines document where I made up gaurd
expressions to fit the example.  David Welsh, our resident business person
for the example, had no trouble understanding that my guard expressions
correctly expressed what he had written in the other fields of the
worksheets.

Regards,
Brian