Subject: RE: ebXML in W3C? and OASIS Business Transaction group

Dear All,

submit BPSS to W3C?

Seems rather funny to me.  UN/CEFACT is an arm of the United Nations and you
can't get much more international than that, can you?  For all the good work
that it has done, at the end of the day W3C is a US based not-for-profit
organisation.  I agree however that there is a practical challenge for
UN/CEFACT to produce output that commands the status at least that accorded
to W3C outputs.  I also agree with a perception mentioned below that the
W3C, up till now at least, has been seen as tackling the more the syntax
issues, whereas OASIS and other organisations have tackled the application
of those syntaxes.  The messaging (protocol) area is clearly a grey one
where W3C may have a role to play.  However, I would have thought that in
the business process area UN/CEFACT and OASIS should be able to stand-alone
under the banner of ebXML.

Talking of OASIS, I noticed with concern, the post from James Bryce Clark
that indicated that OASIS has started up its own new TC on business
transactions.  I would appreciate it if someone would clarify rationale
behind this, else I hope that OASIS will immediately close this group and
direct the participants to the ebXML business process group instead.  If
there is not a clear statement or swift action from OASIS people will wonder
what the value of the MoU is.

Best Regards Tony

A. M. Fletcher
BTexact Technologies
    01473 644526     +44 1473 644526      m +44 (0) 7740 739490     Fax: +44
(0) 1473 646291
   Callisto House /261/pp46 (B81-MH), Adastral Park, Martlesham Heath,
Ipswich  IP5 3RE    UK
  tony.am.fletcher@bt.com

British Telecommunications plc
Registered Office - 81 Newgate Street,  London,  EC1A 7AJ
Registered in England no 1800000

This electronic message contains information from British Telecommunications
plc which may be privileged or confidential. The information is intended to
be for the use of the individual(s) or entity named above. If you are not
the intended recipient be aware that any disclosure, copying, distribution
or use of the contents of this information is prohibited. If you have
received this electronic message in error, please notify us by telephone or
email (to the numbers or address above) immediately.