Subject: Re: Notation to support BPSS

Tony Blazej, Director of Industry Programs, OAGI wrote,

   Even though the semantic of the specification suit the needs of the
   project, we feel that lack of a standard (or de facto) notation is a
   major show stopper for us as we need to communicate the way
   collaborations operate to both business analysts and technical users.
   Relying on an XML document to solely communicate the details of the
   collaboration is far too limiting.

   In the absence of a standard, the OAGI and STAR/XML are planning to use
   the notation proposed by Jean-Jacques Dubray. However, we would prefer
   to use a "consensus" notation if we can converge on one quickly.

   Would this working group be interested in tackling this problem? If so
   can we agree on a time table?

Hi Tony,

I would appreciate any comments you may have on ISO 10746 RM/ODP
http://lists.ebxml.org/archives/ebxml-bp/200107/msg00049.html

The ISO/IEC ITU work looks good to me.
ftp://ftp.omg.org/pub/docs/ISO-stds/01-01-01.pdf

The ISO 10746-3 contains definitions and framework supporting the
enterprise viewpoint and "enterprise language".  It can be found at
http://citeseer.nj.nec.com/cs?cs=1&q=10746

For ecommerce to succeed, it must bring 10,000's of developers and
implementers up to speed simultaneously, on the same sheet of music.

It seems to me the EWG BP project should use the same terminology as
other work going on in IT.   These other international groups have
gone to so much work agreeing on a glossary and framework.  Below
are examples of terms from ISO/IEC 15414 draft sep.2000 - you see
they overlap substantially with what is in BP.

I also can admit to making many interesting conceptual errors such
as the subject/object context, that can be very confusing in describing
BP interactions.  These errors creep into the naming and phrasing
within a specification.  We are finding that the framework in ISO 15414
draft is very helpful to reduce these errors and ambiguity.  This
ISO stuff is good.

I am just a new user of RM/ODP but I am baffled, why EWG BP needs a
different glossary from ISO/IEC ITU.   I think the RM/ODP enterprise
language covers the Business Process territory.  If there is some conflict,
then the EWG and ISO should go into a room someplace and sort out
the problem.  Below are some of the terms which are defined normatively
in the enterprise language. I don't want to learn two languages especially
if they conflict.

My understanding is OMG's EDOC is presented with RM-ODP viewpoints,
which suggests its continuing currency and usefulness.

Todd

www.netaccount.com
www.arapxml.net

...here are some terms in RM/ODP enterprise language.

<X> domain
<X> federation
<X> template
act