ebxml-ccbp-context message

Subject: Suggestion about metamodel

Hi Jim, and others who have studied the current BP metamodel:

I would like to suggest that we move the "BusinessProcessActivityModel" modeling
element out of the BOM and into the BOV. To me the BusinessProcessActivityModel
and its set of Business Tasks are the logical first level of the BOV, i.e. the
place where you define your business process as a set of steps, where each step
then gets represented as a BusinessCollaborationProtocol.

So I think I am suggesting two things at once.

The first is merely a presentation aspect. By moving the
BusinessProcessActivityModel out of the BOM, the BOM more clearly focuses only
on the categorization of business processes and the mapping of their mutual
transition to each other. By moving BusinessProcessActivityModel to the BOV you
more clearly see all the layers minimally required to define the flow of a
single business process.

The second part of my suggestion has more impact. I am suggesting that the
BusinessTasks within a BusinessProcessActivityModel map directly to a
BusinessCollaborationProtocol, rather than via a BusinessCollaborationUseCase.
This would be much simpler for modeling the business process sequence top to
bottom.
I realize the impacts in that then we need a better place to tie in the REA
model. I would suggest that that, too, could be at BusinessCollaborationProtocol
level. We have been discussing a good reification approach for the REA anyway.
I also realize that there are other attributes of BusinessCollaborationUseCase
that need to be carried forward to the BOV level, and if my suggestion is to
work, we need to address those as well.

The main thrust of this proposal is to be able to define a business process
sequenc in terms of:

BusinessProcessActivityModel-->BusinessCollaborationProtocol-->CommercialTransac
tion

instead of the current

BusinessProcessActivityModel-->BusinessCollaborationUseCase-->BusinessCollaborat
ionProtocol-->CommercialTransaction

What do other people think?

-karsten

Karsten Riemer,
Director, Information Architecture,
Enterprise Management Architecture Group
Sun Microsystems Inc.,
MailStop UBUR03-313
1 Network Drive,
Burlington, MA 01803-0903