Subject: RE: Syntax Free Models

Martin & ebXML Group

I have had a chance to review your excellent paper.
There are many concepts that are well stated and map easily onto both our internal BT architecture and external EC standardisation efforts - I will try to
adopt the Information Set & Information Unit jargon ;-).

I have some difficulty with the process definition (InformationSeq) transfer.  By this I mean - which process are we referring to: the last process activated, the next intended, the set of all possible candidates....  We also get into the problem of process granularity and variations of practice between trading partners and market participants.
The Information Sequence concept has not been defined and seems the most debatable concept in the paper.

I suggest that process id/label(InofrmationSeq)  transfer should not be done, but that the more stable State signal be transferred.
This does not mean that we dont analyse processes and describe value chains, dependencies ..., but that these do not form part of the information transfer.

I have attached a modified internal paper for your review.  I have attempted a change of language to some of those you have suggested - but have not yet been completely consistent.
There is also another piece of work where one of my collegues (Andrew Blair) has detailed a Workflow Specification (using a range of UML compliant techniques) for particular transactions within the Australian Pensions Industry - I will provide the URL in another email.

regards
Keith Finkelde
BT Portfolio Services
email: keith.finkelde@btfinancialgroup.com
phone: +61 2 9259 9765

-----Original Message-----
From: Martin Bryan [mailto:mtbryan@sgml.u-net.com]
Sent: Friday,11 February 2000 7:15
To: ebxml-core@lists.oasis-open.org

As I mentioned in my messages earlier this week, what I posted last time was
only part of a larger exercise. During this week I have been tasked by the
CEN/ISSS project group on Defining and Managing Semantics and Datatypes with
drafting a paper on the Syntax-Neutral Definition of Business Semantics.
Whilst I have yet to have time to complete it (especially the forms needed
to record semantics) I think the overall framework is now sufficiently
outlined to make it worthwhile sending to this group to see if they can
identify any missing components.Comments on the draft paper, which you can
find at http://www.sgml.u-net.com/neutral.htm, would be very much welcomed.

Martin Bryan
Chair of CEN/ISSS DAMSAD project group

ebXML_State_Disc1.doc