Subject: RE: ebXML Representation of Metadata

	<snip>
	Add to this that XMI creates DTD's that look like they have been
	written by a machine.  I.e. no self-respecting human would want
these
	for a production environment.

	<CBC>

	XMI Does write DTD's that look like they have been written by a
machine, I strongly disagree with the implied corollary; I.e. no
self-respecting human would want these for a production environment.

	Almost every industry as progressed from the age of artisans to
industrialization, and that is what is now happening to software.  And, just
as the glass blowers of Venice screamed that machines could never produce
works as beautiful as an skilled artists the artisans of today have the same
arguments against industrial approaches to software.  Interestingly, the
Venetian glass blowers where correct in their own way, they still make the
most wonderful work.  But to put glassware on the tables of billions we need
the machines.

	Sure, generated DTD's are not as pretty and the lack character, they
are just so consistent and boring - and that is their strength.  The
consistent way to utilize XML for our purposes is automated and enforced by
a well specified generation mechanism.  Doing so will enable smarter tools
and utilities such that humans will not be dealing with DTDs except at the
lowest levels.

	The esthetic compromises of artifacts such as DTDs being produced
with automation is more than made up for by the ability to tool the
environment and facilitate industrial software production.  Thus it is
precisely the "production environment" that demands the consistency and
productivity afforded by this approach.  I love the art, but this is not the
place for it.

	The other advantage of generation is flexibility over other
technologies and over time.  XML is today's technology, but what will it
look like in 5 years, in 20?  Will it be the only thing?  Don't we want the
domain work that will be going into EbXml to survive the next revisions and
even be useful for the next technology on the block?  We already know that
the DTDs days are numbered.  Using automation allows us to keep up with
technology changes by modifying our generation parameters without modifying
our base models.  We can support later versions of XML as well as other
technologies as appropriate.  Binding the domain work into the technology of
the day would be a very short-sighted move.

	In summary, I think it is imperative that we use automation wherever
practical and make a strong separation between the content and the
technology.  This is the only way we will be part of facilitating the
industrial revolution of software.

	Regards,
	Cory Casanave
	Data Access Technologies