Subject: Re: Units of Measure

---------------------- Forwarded by jmotley/Globaltechltd on 07/10/2000 09:27 AM
---------------------------

jmotley
07/10/2000 09:26 AM

To:   "William J. Kammerer" <wkammerer@foresightcorp.com>
cc:

Subject:  Re: Units of Measure  (Document link: JMotley)

Bill,

Sorry for the lack of clarity.  I had meant that an XML document (that contained
element tags based on, for example, X12 element ID's) would be a physical
rendering from a specific DTD.  If that document (or DTD) contained cross
references to the BSR one could then render  a different XML document from the
same DTD with tags of any fashion that were cross referenced in the BSR.

For example a document with BSR tags (could just as easily be X12 element IDs
for tags) of;

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<!DOCTYPE ebXML_ASN_Message SYSTEM "BSR_ASN.dtd">
<ebXML_Message MessageDate="2000-07-07" MessageTime="19:32:03.323" ID="32100212"
 Rendering="BSR_NORMAL">
    <713>
        <151>
            <876>SENDER</876>
            <877>ACME002</877>
            <135>ACME EXPORTING</135>
            <611>
                <226>123 EAST MAIN STREET</226>

Could be transformed with very simple applications to

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<ebXML_Message MessageDate="2000-07-07" MessageTime="19:32:03.323" ID="32100212"
 Rendering="BSR_USENGLISH">
    <sender>
        <tradingPartner>
            <partnerRole>SENDER</partnerRole>
            <partnerID>ACME002</partnerID>
            <partnerName>ACME EXPORTING</partnerName>
            <postalAddress>
                <addressLine>123 EAST MAIN STREET</addressLine>

(Tech note:  the DOCTYPE is gone because this came from (is a rendering of) but
does not use the DTD from the first example)

The goal in this is to enable simple tools that end users or entry level
analysts would use so that they can perform the message transformation to or
from a proprietary format.

The reason we think this is needed is although the question "And wouldn't you
ever need just one DTD?" seems reasonable enough, but we rarely, if ever, have
put in to production an interface that had two trading partners with identical
implementation guides and implementations.

Regards,
John Motley

"William J. Kammerer" <wkammerer@foresightcorp.com> on 07/09/2000 10:03:17 AM