Subject: Re: Units of Measure

Martin,

That is a very good design point.  The thought was that the explicit attribute
is was more intuitive, for a novice, and you did not have to have the DTD to
translate the tags to another rendering (ie. you could flip from X12 element id
tags to Chinese tags without a DTD).  You could go with the approach that ready
access to the DTD repository would negate the need to carry it along each time.
We were worried this access would not come along so quickly.  Modifying the
attribute to optional could be a compromise and the specifc trading partners
could request to make it mandatory for their specific use.

Regards,
John Motley

"Martin Bryan" <mtbryan@sgml.u-net.com> on 07/08/2000 02:17:42 AM