Subject: RE: Brave new world

Stephanie:

I don't disagree that size is potentially a factor in how one implements an
e-commerce system, but I would argue that some of the least attractive
aspects of VANs (i.e., charging by size of message) will not be viable
business propositions on the internet, where much higher bandwidth use is
becoming the norm. Don't confuse per-transaction charges (which are common,
but the same regardless of the size of the transaction, but very unpopular
among customers anyway) with per-byte charges (which as far as I know is not
a common nor attractive business model for existing internet portals today).

The place where size matters most is in processing speed - how many *huge*
transactions can you handle per hour? It is possible that the verbosity of
XML messages will present a problem here in some cases (I've seen the
stress-test results on Commerce One's platform), but any reasonable
implementation of the core component models into messages does not pose a
serious threat in this area.

What you have presented is a good point of design for our messages - small
is better - but not at the price of creating tags that are not
human-readable. I think we can achieve a fair balance between these two if
we keep your point in mind.

Cheers,

Arofan Gregory