Subject: Re: Brave new world

Margaret,

Following your comments on the difficulties of integrating EDI messages
with back end applications and your observation that ebXML doesn't appear
to "solve" that issue, I would like to add my thoughts on the subject.

For a starter I believe that what is needed, whether for edi or XML, is a
data-element tagging system that would be so simple that users would want
to adapt it in their own, internal applications.

I also believe that one such tagging system could be developed based on the
EDIFACT concept of composite data elements. Every data element can be
uniquely identified according to the following formula:

TAGx_value_qualifier1_qualifier2.....

The Date/Time/Period segment (DTM) in EDIFACT is designed like that and ALL
data elements could be identified in the same way. (I know because I
designed an experimental EDIFACT transport message based on this concept
back in the early 90's - the message had only a fraction of the segments of
the standard EDIFACT message on which it was modelled)

The composite data element concept is important because it allows new data
elements to be introduced by adding new qualifier values without changing
the basic data/message structure.

EDIFACT, and X12, can become "simple" by designing a new set of segments
based on the above model and then construct messages that recognize that in
trade and transport the data structures in different messages are almost
identical, only the functions of the data structure changes as the data is
"moved". This function should be identified with a code, rather than a
whole new message.

This was recognized by the early trade facilitation efforts, when trade
document alignment were aligned so that a whole series of different trade
documents could be produced in a single typing using carbon paper.

I think that these observations are relevant for the ebXML efforts because
if the weaknesses and shortcomings of the edi standards are not properly
understood they may also not be improved upon - and the problem goes way
beyond human readability of tags and codes.

I am not very familiar with XML syntax and I don't know if is allows for
composite data elements - but I seriously hope it does, because if
so-called specific data elements must be used, thousands are required and
message structures will be inherently unstable.

If, on the other hand, composite data elements can be used with ebXML they
could possibly look something like this:

Data to be tagged: Estimated date of arrival July 14, 2000

EDIFACT tagging: DTM+132:20000714:102'

Possible ebXML tagging (?): DATE_20000714_EstimatedArrival_CCYYMMDD

Comments on the above would be most welcome.

Best regards,

Niels Rasmussen
(rasmus@netrover.com)