Subject: Re: Brave new world, OR tagging based on EDIFACT names

William Kammerer wrote:

>Niels Rasmussen suggested that components in ebXML possibly be tagged to
>reflect an EDIFACT heritage (or, more accurately, "baggage").  For
>example, if the data to be expressed as the Estimated date of arrival
>were July 14, 2000, EDIFACT would represent it in the DTM segment as
>DTM+132:20000714:102'.  DTM is the segment tag for Date/Time/Period.
>The '132' is the Date/time/period function code qualifier meaning
>"Arrival date/time, estimated", and the '102' is a Date/time/period
>format code which means "20000714" is to be interpreted as "CCYYMMDD".
>Niels' suggested an ebXML tagging such as
>"DATE_20000714_EstimatedArrival_CCYYMMDD."

What I tried to do was, in part, to make two points:

(a) Back end integration would be easier if a data element tagging system
could be devised that users would want to use not only for transmitting
data (EDI / ebXML) but also in internal applications

(b) The composite data element, as used in the EDIFACT DTM segment, is a
powerful means of tagging data elements that is flexible and yet stable.
Flexible in the sense that new data element tags can be devised simply by
adding a new code value to a table, stable in the sense that the tag
construct always remains the same

In part I was posing a question and at the same time attemptin an answer by
giving the example above, to which I am not strongly committed:

- Can the equivalent of a composite data element be constructed in XML?

It is the CONCEPT of the composite data element (as implemented in the DTM
segment) that is important, NOT the actual EDIFACT or X12 codes and tags.

Regards,

Niels Rasmussen
Ottawa, Canada

Tel: +1 613-596-1454