ebxml-core message

Subject: Re: Tomorrows meeting, and minutes from last meeting

I will not make this call as I will be in travel to the POC meeting as
for Sig Handelman. Here are some very relevant URL's pertaining to
last week's TPA F2F meeting in New York.

Tony Weida's meeting minutes.

Presentation I gave at that meeting.

Current input to the TPA chapter of the Architecture doc I put together
this weekend. This has been well recieved so far.

Scott Hinkelman, Senior Software Engineer
XML Industry Enablement
IBM e-business Standards Strategy
512-823-8097 (TL 793-8097) (Cell: 512-940-0519)
srh@us.ibm.com, Fax: 512-838-1074

Karsten Riemer <Karsten.Riemer@East.Sun.COM> on 10/16/2000 11:26:54 AM

Please respond to Karsten Riemer <Karsten.Riemer@East.Sun.COM>

To:   ebxml-bp@lists.ebxml.org, ebxml-core@lists.ebxml.org,

The weekly BP/CC metamodel meeting is scheduled for 17 Oct. at
9 am PST, 12 pm EST.

To access the call, dial 888-699-0348 domestically and +1 732-336-6000
internationally, with  a PIN of 4281#.

Work on XML level expression of BP and info models.

See you there,

Minutes from Metamodel meeting 10/10/2000

Review of XMI documents.
Attempt to settle on XML format for POC.
Discussion of BP elements needed for TP.
Discussion of Partner definition.
Scheduling of FSV review.
Process for review of metamodel.

Bill McCarthy
Bob Haugen
Core Casanave
Mike Rowell
Jean-Jacques Dubrais
Anne Hendry
Antoine Lonjon
Paul Levine
Stefano Pogliani
Tim McGrath
Karsten Riemer
Sig Handelman
Scott Hinkelman
Mark Hale
Chris Ferris
Marcia McClure
Martin Bryan

Review of XMI:

Scott mentioned that Kris Ketels from Swift is addressing use of XMI under
Antoine will contact Kris.

Mark Hale mentioned RDF as an alternative, referred to e-mail by Bob

Sig Handelman mentioned that he thought XMI might be too complex as the XML
dialect for the final XML expression of a BP/Info model (referred to in the
rest of these notes as simply BPI-XML, this is not a new term, just ane
abbreviation for these notes). Scott stated that we should work on a set of
minimum but sufficient requirements for this BPI-XML.

Chris Ferris mentioned that there are two flavors of XMI, both MOF
one for model interchange, one for domain specific models. Chis also
that one goal would be to have a simple instance level document like the
demoed in Bruxelles.

There was discussion about whether the BPI-XML should support any kind of
userfriendly display directly, or whether implementors would provide their
transforms. Concencus seemed to lean towards the latter.

Scott mentioned that Steve Brodsky of IBM is involved in the use of XMI for
'movement of objects', whereas ebXML is mostly about interoperability in
exchanging business documents.

Editorial: Summing up the discussion we might have an architecture
like this:

UML-modeling tool              XML-modeling tool            XML-browser
       |                               |                           |
      XMI                              |                           |

The left branch fully supporting the recommended ebXML methodology, the
branch being lighter-weight but fully semantically compliant with the left

Cory Casanave mentioned that if we were basing the architecture on MOF
directly we would more easily be able to create the simplified BPI-XML, and
transformations via XSLT to graphical tools would be more straight forward.
Editorial: this is not the direction of the ebXML metamodel, we are
on an extension to current UML.

Scott mentioned that he thought that the BP group is focusing on
and that it is becoming too heavyweight. Bob Haugen agreed in spirit, and
stated that he thought there was much room for simplification within the
current BP specs without starting over.

Eveyone in the meeting agreed that the right approach for the metamodel
right now is to  concentrate at the BPI-XML layer, and then work from that
middle-out, i.e. to tie it to the upper BP model and to the TP models below
it. Chis Ferris stated agreement but again recommended that we use the XMI
domain specific XMI as a starting point.

Lisa Shreve stated that the methodology's focus on starting at the
requirements level is not the right choice. We should instead establish
rules. The metamodel must be the active foundation which 'nudges' users in
direction of correct construction of data structures.

Scott stated that we need b2b specific tools, message oriented.
Cory stated that ideally "the model is the source code".

Bob stated that there is a need for more specification of the new kind of
software that "knows how to be configured by TradingPartner config files"

Martin Bryan that focus should be on discovery of processes first, then
players. This is different than focus on what you do when you already have
agreed upon an interaction with a known business partner.

Scott stated that in essence TPAml is the M-zero level underneath the
M-one level. i.e. the BPI-XML is the generic statement of the process. The
TPAml is first a statement of a partner's capabilities with respect to that
generic process, next a statement of two partner's explicit commitment to
those capabilities in a specific way.

Bob Haugen wanted to know the mapping of TP to BP. Editorial: this is the
topic of TP face-to-face in New York.

Editorial: This meeting covered a lot of good ground, and brought out clear
concensus that we should concentrate on the BPI-XML layer. This will be the
agenda for tomorrow's meeting.