Subject: RE: EBXML Catalog

Yanqin:

What you are probably interested in is the work of the Core Components and
Business Process team within the ebXML effort. This group is - among other
things - defining standard components from all different types of messages,
including catalogs, to allow intelligent re-use of data based on a component
architecture.

To put a complicated approach simply: the group is working on defining, in
an automated way, the context of reuse for any component.

If your business process is publishing catalog content, then the data
components would be structured appropriately, even though that same data
might be reused elsewhere with a slightly differetn structure, in another
context.

The value of context is enabling smart applications to understand that the
information is functionally and semantically the same, even if the contexts
(and, therefore, structures) are different.

This makes it completely different from any other standard approach,
although these standards were certainly examined as part of the effort, and
many have been represented in the working group.

A simple "mapping" between ebXML and other standards is not strictly
possible. The ccbp group is *not* simply defining another set of catalog
structures.

To learn more about this, please go to http://www.ebxml.org/, or perhaps
http://www.ebxml.org/project_teams/core_components/Context.htm would be more
to the point.