Subject: FW: core components analysis

Sue Probert
Director, Document Engineering
Commerce One
Tel: +44 1332 342080
www.commerceone.com

-----Original Message-----
From: Probert, Sue
Sent: 19 December 2000 11:29
To: ebXML Core
Subject: RE: core components analysis

Hi William et al

Sorry to spoil the story but in the majority of cross-border trade textual
names of coded elements are still absolutely necessary and they have to be
spelt exactly as on the Letter of Credit or as the buyer, seller or third
party require on any of the fifty to eighty documents that still, even in
this internet day and age, have to be printed in order to complete the
transaction. This means that all relevant applications need to house the
precise spelling and this may not be obtained directly from an official code
list and therefore the textual name needs to be exchanged in any electronic
document exchange as well.

For example suppose the Port of Loading for an export consignment of beer is
Rotterdam and in error this was spelt as Roterddam on the original Letter of
Credit then by sending only the official UNLOCODE for that location, NLRTM,
the receiving application would not be able to reproduce the original
mispelt name on any paperwork. e.g. original Bill of Lading, which they had
to raise to expedite the cargo movement.

Far fetched you may think but absolutely not! This is the reality of the
types of challenges that remain for trade facilitation and electronic
trading. Technical solutions, however clever, cannot alone overcome these
problems.

regards

Sue