Subject: Re: Core Component Analysis - SWIFT's Comments

Hello Folks,

    I think what I really want to say is that translations are not a good
idea.

    A little story:

    Once upon a time there was an Englishman, a Chinese man and a French
man.

    They wanted to hold a meeting but unfortunately none of them spoke the
others language.

    They decided that they would employ interpreters, but found that
professional
    interpreters were only willing to translate into their mother tongue.

    Thus they found that they needed 6 interpreters:

    English to Chinese
    Chinese to English
    French to Chinese
    Chinese to French
    French to English
    English to French

    3 participants and 6 interpreters.

    They realised that if they held a conference of 50 participants all
speaking different
    languages they would need more interpreters so they employed a
mathematician to
    calculate their requirements.

    The mathematician worked out a formula for them so they could work out
the number of
    interpreters per number of language groups.

    If n is the number of language groups then the number of interpreters is
n*(n-1)

    Which in the case of 50 language groups is 50*49 = 2450

    If however all the interpreters spoke say English then they would only
need 100
    interpreters

    The point is that translation can lead to an exponential amount of
'work' and
    interoperability can have a large overhead.

    This was one of the main planks of EDI when it was first initiated, that
there should be
    an EDI 'lingua' franca and thus only the need to translate from each
participants
    in-house format to EDI and vice-versa.

    I think that it is at our peril that we have translation of tags from
English to say
   Russian or French etc.

    If we are designing for International trade, and one transaction can
involve a
    Buyer, Seller, Advising Bank, Reimbursing Bank, Notifying Party,
Shipper, Freight
    Forwarder, Carriers etc. there would be some merit in codeing the tags
and having the
    Name of the field as an attribute (#IMPLIED) so that local names could
be used for
    readibility and the code able to be looked up in a look up table
depending on a language
    setting.

    Cheers, Phil

    P.S. we even employed such a look up scheme on the Fortran 77 compiler
on the GEIS
          network in the late 70's, giving compiler error messages in local
languages.
         the