Subject: Re: Core Component Analysis - SWIFT's Comments

Mary Kay Blantz told Steve Tompkins "that the plan is to start with
Oxford English.  People who require tags in other languages intend to
develop Core Components (and tags) in those languages."

So application data tags will (initially) be in this "Oxford English,"
which I continue to maintain doesn't exist.  If Mary Kay means that the
Oxford English Dictionary spellings are to be used, I want to make sure
we aren't being sucked into a vortex of weird spellings and fairy-tale
phrases.  So I checked into the OED at my local public library.  My
god - it was something like 16 volumes!  They looked brand new, like
they've never been cracked open - which isn't too surprising considering
we rubes are not considered a literate bunch.

But I did pick out a few volumes, and found to my surprise very little
to offend my republican sensibilities. Most of the words, especially the
suspicious ones that end in "ization" and "ize," were correctly spelled.
And "jail" was, well, "jail"!  The Websterian "Color" was deprecated
with a terse "see Colour,"  but I can live with that.  Okay - if Mary
Kay wants to lug the dictionary to Vancouver, I'll agree to use it.

Finally, Steve is looking forward to my inevitable response.  I think
he's fishing for some kind of an apology.

William J. Kammerer
FORESIGHT Corp.
4950 Blazer Memorial Pkwy.
Dublin, OH USA 43017-3305