Subject: RE: BSR - the Basic Semantic Register

Hello,
I'd like to pitch in on this one - Martin's paper validates a number of my
own views, that 'roles' are a highly important element when solving certain
problems. As the architect of the Data Consortium Namespace
(www.dataconsortium.org/namespace/DCN150.DTD.pdf), I'd like to share how we
interchange many-to-many relationships. I'd like to note that the DCN is an
open-source effort, and that we welcome all comments about its architecture
and implementation.

Meanwhile, I hope you find our technical approach useful.
Regards,
John McClure
Hypergrove Engineering, Inc.
211 Taylor Street, Suite 32-A
Port Townsend, WA 98368
360-379-3838 (land)

Containment can also be looked upon as a relationship between a container
and its containees. Often, as is the case for the DCN, container-containee
and parent-child relationships are handled specially for functional and for
performance reasons. Nevertheless, the model still devolves to that which
addresss roles and relationships. In fact, the DCN allows multiple
representations for a given semantic, relegating to an object model the job
of establishing the canonical "information set" represented by the XML
elements in the DCN data-stream.

In the DCN, each resource involved with a m-to-m relationship is linked to
the relationship itself. For instance, let's assume that we want to markup
that a location, Loc01, is a 'child of' Loc02 and Loc03, while Loc02 and
Loc03 are the 'parent of' Loc01 and Loc04. Here is one form of markup for
this (using DCN elements).
<Location id='Loc01'>
   <!-- here's a list of the containing locations -->
   <list xsi:type='locations' name='parentLocations'>
   <Location id='Loc02'>
	<list xsi:type='locations' name='childLocations'>
	<Location id='Loc01'/>
	<Location id='Loc04'/>
	</list>
   </Location>
   <Location id='Loc03'>
	<list xsi:type='locations' name='childLocations'>
	<Location id='Loc01'/>
	<Location id='Loc04'/>
	</list>
   </Location>
   </list>
</Location>

The DCN accommodates a role-centered markup style, where a <Role> is used
to identify the
   (1) 'subjects' of a role, i.e., the resources that are 'performing' the
role, and
   (2) the 'factors' of a role, that is, the resources that are the
'contexts' in which or for which the other (subject) resources perform the
role.
<Location id='Loc01'>
   <!-- here's a list of roles performed by the parent element-->
   <list xsi:type='roles' name='locationRoles'>
   <Role xsi:type='LocationRole' name='Containee'>
	<list xsi:type='locations' name='subjectLocations'>
	<Location id='Loc01'/>
	<Location id='Loc04'/>
	</list>
	<list xsi:type='locations' name='factorLocations'>
	<Location id='Loc02'/>
	<Location id='Loc03'/>
	</list>
   </Role>
   </list>
</Location>

The following encoding style explicitly identifies the roles being
performed by each of the resources. In other words, this encoding makes the
"Container" role explicit.
<Location id='Loc01'>
   <!-- here's a list of roles performed by the parent element-->
   <list xsi:type='roles' name='locationRoles'>
   <Role xsi:type='LocationRole' name='Containee'>
	<list xsi:type='locations' name='subjectLocations'>
	<Location id='Loc01'/>
	<Location id='Loc04'/>
	</list>
	<list xsi:type='roles' name='relatedRoles'>
	<Role xsi:type='LocationRole' name='Container'>