Subject: Re: BSR - the Basic Semantic Register

Folks,
  I too enjoyed Martins' paper. Unless I missed the point however, I don't
see how it deals with many to manty relationships.

  Perhaps he ould be kind enough to explain for simple souls like me.

OR maybe I was at fault in not explaining myself too clearly.

 Let's look at at say packing a product;

  There are 2 scenarios which I would liek to contemplate:

  1. One Product packed in many containers.

        The layout in XML could be as follows

          <Product>
                <Container> </Container>
                <Container> </Container>
                <Container> </Container>
         </Product>
2. Many products in one container

          <Container>
                 <Product> </Product>
                 <Product> </Product>
                 <Product> </Product>
           </Container>

  The challenge is one cannot predict how a packer will pack a consignment -
It will depend on many factors like the size
of containers, the dimension of product/s etc or just how a particualar
packer feels on a particular day !!!

       There are of couyrse solutions to the above like allowing one OR "|"
the other BUT if a hierarchy is expressed in
sevearal levels the permutations become larger. Thus this becomes a
generalised problem of many to many relationships
and how to handle them in a hierarchical structure.

       This was a common problem in the 1970's when virtually all DBs were
Hierarchical. I remember it well.

       In general designers tended to flatten the hierarchies as much as
possible and relate hierarchies thru data fields -
       and then Ted Codd et al 'invented' the relational Database which is
the main paradigm today.

      How does XML deal with many to many ?
      How will ebXML deal with many to many ?

Cheers, Phil

" If the only tool you have is a hammer the whole world looks like a nail "
Anon.