Subject: re: Show Stopper 2 Problem Statement

Message text written by Martin Bryan

No mechnaism is defined within the ebXML Constraint language to record
relationships between elements. It is not, therefore, possible to state
that
element X may only occur if element Y is present (unless they are siblings
and two choices of model are defined) or that element X must occur if
element Y contains value Z.

I had worked out a way that this could be done using W3C XML Schemas,  but
the decision of the group that the constraint language must be capable of
generating any type of XML validation mechanism, including DTDs,
Schematron,
etc, makes it impossible to come up with any mechanism for expressing such
relationships that can be consistently applied.

Martin Bryan
The SGML Centre

<<<<<<<<<<

Martin,

Never say impossible!

However I agree with your observation of the current limitations.  I was
also
confused as to why the information model and documentation were not in the
submission - or did I miss something in all those sub-documents?

Without the information model its easy to see why errors such as the one
you note have occurred, and further more - I would expect QR to instantly
require the info' model to facilitate their own review process?!

DW.