Subject: Re: ebXML Entity Classes - or EDIFACT is based on DBA skills andtheory and look where it got...

John McClure told Bob Miller "Surely, data-modelers can do better than
elements like <PurchaseOrderReceiptDate> -- where is the normalization?
Have all our DBA skills and theory become moot in the XML age? I think
not."

I guess "DBA skills and theory" were all the rage when UN/EDIFACT was
devised.  Regardless of the type of date, it's generally going to go
inside a DTM (Date/Time/Period) segment.  And the type of date (in this
case, Order received date/time) will be used as a qualifier.  So you
have:

        DTM+8:20000228:102'

Where 8 means "Order received date/time", and 102 says the 20000228 is a
date in the form CCYYMMDD.  The DTM allows an incredible amount of
normalization - just change the Date or time or period function code
qualifier (the 8 in this example) to any of a myriad code values
described by UN/EDIFACT data element 2005, and you can describe any kind
of date (or time or date-time) under the Sun.

But this is precisely what people bitch about when bemoaning the
complexity of EDI.  XML was supposedly going to cure these ills.

William J. Kammerer
FORESIGHT Corp.
4950 Blazer Pkwy.
Dublin, OH USA 43017-3305