Subject: questions on UMM parameters (Fwd)

Jim,

I have re-read the UMM section on this, and still do not know the answers to
my questions in my e-mail below. I propose that the SpecSchema leave the
possibilities open, and people who use UMM to arrive at a SpecSchema can apply
the constraints in the UMM process. What I mean by this is that I propose that
all the parameters

isAuthorizationRequired
isNonRepudiationRequired
timeToAcknowledgeReceipt
timeToAcknowledgeAcceptance
isNonRepudiationOfReceiptRequired
isIntelligibleCheckRequired

will be available for use in either the requesting or the responding activity.
That will support more than the currently suggested allowable UMM patterns,
but will not prevent any of them.

The interpretation of the parameters are:

isAuthorizationRequired - when you send my activity a DocumentFlow, I will
authorize you against a list isNonRepudiationRequired - when my activity sends
a DocumentFlow I will save it as an audit trail before sending
timeToAcknowledgeReceipt - when my activity receives a DocumentFlow I must ack
within this time  timeToAcknowledgeAcceptance - when my activity receives a
DocumentFlow I must ack within this time  isNonRepudiationOfReceiptRequired -
when my activity receives a DocumentFlow I must send a signed ack within the
time required for timeToAcknowledgeReceipt above isIntelligibleCheckRequired -
when my activity receives a DocumentFlow I must validate its syntax before I
send a receiptAck back.

Please speak up if either my interpretation is wrong, or if you disagree that
all of these options should be open at both ends. Currently UMM does not
suggest acceptance from requester, but I don't see why that could not be a
future pattern, it is close to what the negotiation pattern was looking for.

As far as timeToPerform is concerned, I still think it applies only to the
transaction as a whole and should not be in the requesting or responding
activities.

-karsten