Subject: Re: Abstract Type vs. Type Code

William does a very good job in describing the problem I see here, but he
falls short of a point I'm trying to make.

As a general rule, I strongly feel that what we define as core components
should be considered as, in OO terms, abstract classes.   If we then examine
the various ways to use, for example "Party" in various syntaxes to express
a "Selling Party" that may or may not have additional attributes or methods
(properties in CC terms, probably context dependent), we might have the
following:

OO (Java) - Party abstract class and SellingParty descendent concrete class

XML Schema - "Party" is defined as a complexType with all of the relevant
child elements and attributes.  We then simply declare an element
"SellingParty" as type "Party"

    <xsd:element name="SellingParty" type="Party"/>

[NOTE:  There are other syntax complexities when extending "Party", but I
don't want to make this example too complex!]

EDIFACT - A NAD segment group is used to convey "Party" with NAD01 (element
3035) having a value of "SE" for seller.

William is right in saying that if I have a type code already defined in
"Party", then why have an XML element named "SellingParty".  My point is
that this particular use of type code is inherently unique to EDI syntax.
As a syntax dependent usage it should not be part of core component
definitions.  Martin points out that there are other uses of "type code"
that he thinks are valid.  I think I understand his points, but need
examples to be sure.   This is one reason why I still feel that it is
important to provide a few example instantiations of CC's in different
syntaxes so that analysts can fully understand the principles for using CCs.