Subject: RE: Jon Bosak's suggestion that xCBL be adopted as the ebXMLBusinessDocument framework

Thanks Philip,
and regrets to all for my sometimes impolitic/imprecise way of putting
things.

I am trying to square your definition of a segment, composite, and data
element with Todd Boyle's definitions. Todd points to far far more semantic
entities than the numbers you are quoting. For instance, he claims that
there are 549 different types of documents. From what I've seen in xCBL, an
XML element-type is defined for each type of document. It is that design
approach -- aligning element-types with semantic types -- which I find
deeply troublesome. That's why I wrote the memo.

My hope is that ebXML establishes a hierarchical data model, together with a
set of canonical XML elements corresponding to its base classes. It would
then be unsurprising to me if 15 or so base classes emerge, and thus 15 or
so element-types are defined. These base classes and element-types *are*
resource-types, thus tying in with RDF and the Semantic Web.

Thanks,
John