Subject: Fantasies

Arofan Gregory says "contextual definition of core components, and of
modelling those core components" will allow us "to do things that are
impossible today, such as auto-generate mappings between syntaxes or
vocabularies, or to automatically determine where my document
definitions and yours disagree, even though we may have used different
local names for the same bits of data."

Dear Arofan:

Oh, come off it!  When pigs fly, we will.  If you could do that, then
we'd just dispense with standards altogether, and just model both
end-points so they could "talk" to one another.

Heck, I haven't even yet seen anyone take a UML data model and generate
schemas from it -  and that should be a lot simpler.  People tried and
tried to come up with semantic mappings between X12 and EDIFACT and
never did - so I wouldn't hold my breath now waiting for this
mumbo-jumbo of auto-transforming ebXML core components into EDIFACT, or
vice-versa.

William J. Kammerer
FORESIGHT Corp.
4950 Blazer Pkwy.