Subject: ISO 8601 anyone??

Re:  <http://lists.ebxml.org/archives/ebxml-core/200104/maillist.html>
Re:  <http://lists.ebxml.org/archives/ebxml-core/200104/msg00131.html>

[2001-04-15]

> Wed, 11 Apr 2001 21:10:31

> 03/19/2001

> 16 Apr

> Apr 01

May I ask a question? Why are we all using different date formats like
D-M-Y and M-D-Y  when XML in general specifies only  Year-Month-Day
(preferably also only with a four digit year, post-2000) as in the ISO 8601
standard?

Can we resolve to adopt this as a way of working on this email list?

The US adopted ISO 8601 years ago. It's in ANSI X3.30 and NIST FIPS 4-1. The
whole of Europe and Scandinavia know it as EN 28601. Most of the rest of the
world also adopted it, under loads of other different standards reference
numbers.

Just about every operating system on the planet allows you to set your
computer to work this way.

A partial list of countries adopting ISO 8601 and the standards reference
number in each one, can be found at:  <http://www.qsl.net/g1smd/isoimp.htm>.

I'm still wading through the specifications to see what data types do not
conform to existing ISO standards already in use elsewhere, such as those
suggested by ISO 3166, ISO 4217, ISO 8601 and so on.

More stuff on ISO 8601 than is healthy for you:
  <http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~mgk25/iso-time.html>
  <http://www.cv.nrao.edu/y2k/>
  <http://www.saqqara.demon.co.uk/datefmt.htm>
  <http://www.qsl.net/g1smd/isoimp.htm>
  <http://www.merlyn.demon.co.uk/>
  <http://www.metric1.org/>
  <http://www.kok.com/pr03.htm>
  <http://www.hut.fi/~jkorpela/iso8601.html>
  <http://www.ucs.co.za/uc/webtest/y2000.htm>
  <http://www.w3.org/TR/NOTE-datetime>
  <http://serendipity.magnet.ch/hermetic/cal_stud/newman.htm>

Although not in XML, even NASA has started to adopt the Year-Month-Day date
format within much of their data. See the Web Sites at:
<http://umbra.nascom.nasa.gov.>,  <http://sohowww.nascom/nasa.gov/>, and:
<http://www.sel.noaa.gov/> for example.

That's my input for the moment.

Cheers,