Subject: Re: BP specification and documents submitted to QR

Regarding comment 27, lines 734-736:  This is mostly a TP team issue, not a
BP issue.  I agree that in principle, a CPP and CPA should be able to
reference a non-ebXML business collaboration description.  Hence, words to
the effect that a CPP or CPA MAY reference a description derived from the
BP Specification Schema might be appropriate in the BP Specification
Schema.

The reality of the situation is in two parts:

   1. The CPP and CPA have, in at least two places, elements and attributes
   that are specific to the BP Specification Schema.  It is highly likely
   that variants or completely different element structures would be needed
   in those areas to reference an alternative business collaboration
   description.

   2. The TP team has not done the work to either generalize the reference
   to the business collaboration description or to provide element sets for
   specific alternative business collaboration descriptions and it will not
   be possible to do this work before May 12, especially since the work
   might have to involve the organizations that "own" the alternative
   descriptions.  This work is most appropriately done in whatever venue
   takes over the CPP-CPA work after May 12. This joint work is the same
   model that the BP and TP team used to get as far as we have gotten.

The result of the above is that the CPA-CPP specification effectively
prescribes the use of the description derived from the ebXML BP
Specification Schema.  The TP team could add appropriate MAYs to its spec
but the reality of the situation is that alternatives are not supported at
this time because of (2) above.  The TP team could also add an informative
note suggesting allowing for alternative business collaboration
descriptions in the future but the last time this was discussed, the TP
team agreed that such a note is not appropriate in an approved
specification.  I would prefer simply to keep the subject on my futures
list.

Regards,
Marty

Martin W. Sachs