Subject: RE: Just what is a Core Component? Well, it depends on what "is" is.

Sally:

Sounds good to me. I think we agree on the basic guiding principle, which is
that a "core" component is the same across contexts.

Cheers,

Arofan

-----Original Message-----
From: sfuger@AIAG.ORG [mailto:sfuger@AIAG.ORG]
Sent: Friday, April 20, 2001 10:45 AM
To: Gregory, Arofan; wkammerer@foresightcorp.com;
ebxml-core@lists.ebxml.org
Subject: RE: Just what is a Core Component? Well, it depends on what
"is" is.

Which still doesn't say what a "component" is. As a general rule of thumb,
when defining a word, the word itself must not be part of the definition.
APICS defines component as follows:

component-Raw material, part, or subassembly that goes into a higher level
assembly, compound, or other item. This term may also include packaging
materials for
finished items.  See: ingredient, intermediate part.

ingredient-In the process industries, the raw material or component of a
mixture.

intermediate part-Material processed beyond raw material and used in higher
level items.

While these definitions are related to manufacturing, the concepts seem to
me to be very close to what Core Components is building. A possible
extension of the definition Arofan cites:

"A core component is a data item or aggregate of data items that goes into a
higher level assembly of data items and remains the same across all of the
business contexts in which it is used."

My two cents.

Sally