Subject: RE: Just what is a Core Component? Well, it depends on what "is" is.

Philip:

Yes, I think that's it. We identified a number of drivers that might alter
the structure of a component in the contect work, with a concept of business
process at the heart of it, as you point out.

If this is not clear in the documents that the CC-Context team produced,
then we need to make sure it becomes clear.

Cheers,

Arofan Gregory

-----Original Message-----
From: Philip Goatly [mailto:philip.goatly@bolero.net]
Sent: Monday, April 23, 2001 1:28 AM
To: Gregory, Arofan; sfuger@AIAG.ORG; wkammerer@foresightcorp.com;
ebxml-core@lists.ebxml.org
Subject: Re: Just what is a Core Component? Well, it depends on what
"is" is.

Hi there,
                  "A core component is a data item or aggregate of data
items that goes into a
> higher level assembly of data items and remains the same across all of the
> business contexts in which it is used."

  I agree with the definition as far as it goes, however ther may be
diffrent views of the core component in different 'messages'.

  This may depend on the following:

  1. The purpose of the message - e.g In a documentary credit only part of
the Product component may be necessary i.e description - not everthing
associated with the product component.

   2. The stage of the 'Business Transaction' (Business transaction
understood from a Businee point of view - not in  ebXML s
 definition) e.g The booking number may be optional in the Booking Request
but mandatory for the Booking acknowledgement but the booking number will be
associated in both with the 'booking' class.

  When we come to components we need to be talking Business and not
UML/computing.

   We need folks who can cross the Business/Computing divide.

   What I think am saying is that we need to be able to mask Classes to show
a view which depends on context.

Cheers, Phil