Subject: Re: Just what is a Core Component? Or, when is stealing wrong?

David Welsh is "confident CC will log & answer to your request by
Vienna," referring to my suggestion that UN/EDIFACT simply be modeled as
the set of ebXML Core Components.

I am not as confident, as David is, that this would happen, since
identical requests have never been "logged and answered."

This is not the first time the suggestion has been made:  one brilliant
wag wrote almost exactly a year ago to the day, in "Summary of XML
Datatypes as required for B2B applications," at
http://lists.ebxml.org/archives/ebxml-core/200004/msg00001.html -

   But I do like the concept of semantic building blocks
   or core components.  So why re-invent them from scratch?
   Just take a look at the EDIFACT directories and
   dictionaries, and all of the core components for ebXML
   can be effortlessly extracted.

The silence then was deafening, and if a year was not enough time to
seriously consider a sincere proposal, then two weeks to Vienna
certainly doesn't leave enough time now.  Instead, we are treated to the
spectacle of the Core Components chair not quite sure whether a decision
has been made to adopt xCBL - hook, line and sinker - as the end-result
of 18 months of effort.

William J. Kammerer
FORESIGHT Corp.
4950 Blazer Pkwy.