Subject: Re: What do people really expect from ebXML?

Bob, All,

> Has anybody listed all of the totally contradictory
> demands on the ebXML Core Components group?

You really are on the right track here! by asking what should be the most
important question for ebXML, and that is "What do people want?"

Without a clear understanding of what people are asking for, it's going to
be impossible for ebXML to come up with any sort of solutions that can be
embraced by the wider business world.

From what you have written Bob, I think you are quite close to providing an
accurate summation on users demands.

> * deliver full UML models from business process to basic
> components;

Correct.

> * be compatible with X12 and EDIFACT;

Correct.

> * deliver something simple right now that small businesses
> who cannot even afford PC's (now $600) can use.

I would shuffle this one to read:-

* deliver something simple that small businesses who cannot even afford PC's
(now $600) can use.

The point with the PC is not the cost, but the inference that people in
small business can use a PC. It's something completely different.

Why the dependance on having to have a PC ?

Why can't the ebXML technology work on mobile phones ? or one tablet based
devices as being demonstrated by Bill Gates.

Surely the basic components of ebXML should be about developing an XML
framework that works no matter what the platform is.

So essentially you are right in relaying user demands. We shouldn't through
them away because it sounds a little different than what we want to provide.

Recapping, ebXML should:

* deliver something simple that small businesses who cannot even afford PC's
(now $600) can use.

Take care

David Lyon