Subject: Re: What do people really expect from ebXML?

All,

I am new to this discussion so I am not sure where to begin.  However, it
would appear to me that the ebXML expectation would be to allow small and
large companies to integrate more easily at a lower cost.   In working in
EDI for over 10 years, it has been my experience that electronic
communication does little to eliminate paper.  What it can allow for is the
ability to automate processes.   If the intention becomes to eliminate
paper and paper cost this effort will fail.  Most companies will integrate
the XML standards into their existing legacy systems.  It does little good
to eliminate paper if a company sends an electronic document to only have
the receiving party print the document out.

What I see as the needs of ebXML is that technologies can easily be
acquired off the shelf or built with out making large investments in
(development) software and possibly hardware.  These systems must be open
and easily integrated with existing legacy systems. Most EDI translators
are difficult to integrate with existing legacy systems.  They require
building a large infrastructure around the translation process or they use
manual processes.   Both of which can be expensive to maintain.  Not to
mention large transmission costs.

My overall point is that ebXML will not be (at first) the technology that
saves the world.  It will be a technology that can be adaptable to multiple
operating environments without high overhead.  The bottom line to most
companies using it to exchange business information is that it is just a
data format.   What is important is what is built around the data format.
This is where the great ideas of saving paper cost  and integrating with
multiple devices will come from.  This is an education issue to the users
of ebXML formats and is not something that can be built into the
requirements.

Just my two cents worth,  thanks.

                    David Lyon
                    <djlyon@one.n        To:     ebxml-core@lists.ebxml.org
                    et.au>               cc:
                                         Fax to:
                    04/23/01             Subject:     Re: What do people really expect from ebXML?
                    07:25 PM

Mike, All,

We're told,  that at least  500 acres of trees get knocked down each day to
make paper for receipts.  Something totally needless in an electronic
world.

I know of one company  that spends $700,000 per year on paper to print
statements. There must be  tens of thousands of others needlessly consuming
world  resources.

People *expect* that ebXML will do something about providing  solutions
that
will slow down the very real carnage that is going on in the  world.

It's possible that people in America may have disposed themselves  of the
Kioto treaties, but the rest of the world hasn't.

Please give  us a bit of a break, technical people like myself need
"specifications" for  electronic commerce so that we can produce solutions
solve these world  problems.

That's what we were told to expect from ebXML