Subject: RE: Just what is a Core Component? Or, when is stealing wrong?

Mary Kay Blantz does "...not think that either of us should comment
publicly on the xCBL issue."

But the cat is already out of the bag. As Stuart Campbell helpfully
pointed out on Thursday, the xCBL web site notes, at
http://www.xcbl.org/about.html, "It was recently announced that xCBL
will be used as a foundation for the official XML encoding of ebXML"
Here, Kitty, Kitty, Kitty.

This sounds powerfully like a decision has been made [adopting xCBL in
lieu of continuing Core Components development] - and certainly not in
an open, consensus based standards process.  Of course, I don't believe
everything I read on the Internet, though Commerce One has had ample
time since Thursday to remove the item if it were untrue or premature.

In any event, calls to table discussion can be constructive predictors
of ebXML's direction, as I noted a fortnight ago in Re: Representation
Types Alternatives - Or Should Discussion be Tabled?, at
http://lists.ebxml.org/archives/ebxml-core/200104/msg00118.html re: UDDI
and SOAP.  My predictions for UDDI are coming to pass, as proven by
recent activity on the ebXML Registry-Repository mailing list.

Will we suddenly be surprised in Vienna, presented with a fait accompli
on xCBL that the general plenary must ratify?

Mary Kay did concernedly inquire of me: "...are you as disgusted and
angry as you appear to be?"  I can assure her that I am neither, contra
Stuart.

William J. Kammerer
FORESIGHT Corp.
4950 Blazer Pkwy.