Subject: Re: Just what is a Core Component? Or, when is stealing wrong?

With due respect to William's conspiracy theories,  I think the flap about
this Commerce One announcement is much ado about nothing.  The version of
the page that I read this morning does not contain that sentence.   Even if
it did, there's a big difference between being "a" foundation and "the"
foundation.  We could just as easily say that ANSI ASC X12 V 2001 will be
used as "a foundation for the official XML encoding of ebXML".  Not an
untrue statement, since it is the original source of some of the material
used in the CC analysis and discovery process.  You *know* what kind of
howls that might bring from some quarters!  And, there's this mention of
"official" - "official" by whose authority?  If it was by ebXML, we
certainly haven't voted on it yet.  Also, though they say it was announced,
where is the pointer to the announcement?  Where's the press release?  I
suspect the source was Jon Bosak's recent presentation, which we've already
discussed ad nauseum.  Once could hardly call that an official announcement.

Regardless of whatever discussions are going on regarding life after Vienna,
this particular blurb smells of nothing more to me than somewhat aggravating
but mostly innocuous marketing hype.

However, if William's real concern is about confidential, privileged
discussions concerning the continuation of ebXML work (in particular the CC
work) after Vienna, join the club.  All I can say to that is that if you
don't like the choices you are offered, vote with your feet.  I do, believe,
however, that the CC work will continue in some way, shape, or form because
so many people want it to.

Cheers,

Mike