Subject: Re: Throwing the baby out with the bath water

William,

It's certainly true that mime documents can carry Edifact documents as body
parts as you have described.

From a message perspective, there is little difference between embedding an
Edifact/X12 document in an ebXML document or as a body part. It's just
semantics, and a different encoding technique.

When embedded as a body part, it sits in the message (from memory) a bit
like this:

 -----Mime Type Business/Edifact 2058 bytes -----
 ----- -----

And if it's in the ebXML body its:

<Edifact>UNA|........ UNB|..... </Edifact>

I would argue that it's easier to manage a single Message Body without
attachments than messages with attachments.

The reason is that Edifact/X12 documents are usually so small (1k-4k) that
they can quite easily fit in as extra message body text.

Edifact/X12 is, has been and will continue to be important to e-commerce.
Imho they should be considered integral to any ebXML message. To relegate
them to being an attachment (forgive my sentimentality) like a .jpeg is a
little harsh. My vote would be to keep them in the message body for however
long people feel they need them.

Also, although not as important, is that from an integration perspective,
processing seperate attachments in a programming language like VB or
whatever is an extra step and with any extra step there's the possibility
for errors.

In production environments, attachments get 'lost or seperated' from the
original messages from time to time, and it uses a lot of human resources to
get things reconciled again.

Of course, there are going to be those who don't mind extra complexity and
don't see attachments as being a complication. I accept that as an argument,
but whichever way wins out, a standard way for including Edifact/X12
documents really should be part of the ebXML specification somewhere.

Regards

David Lyon