Subject: Re: What do people really expect from ebXML? - Whatever it is,it better be easier than EDI

Hi William,

     I agree with you completely

"Listen folks:  whatever we come up with had better be a darn sight
> easier than EDI - and merely "readable" tags just ain't going to cut it."

    One of the problems with EDI is the lack of business semantics above a
certain level in the 'data hierarchy' which seems to me to be a symptom of
the lack of an underlying daya model.

e.g at the bottom level we have the Data Elements then the Composite Element
and then the Segments - so far so good.

      Higher thant this we have Groups (of segments) without any consistency
across the documents/messages.

      Indeed a consistency at this level is virtually impossible since each
document 'reveals' only part of each 'data object' and some masking
mechanism would be required in a data model to reflect this.
     In part, the partial view of each object derives from where each
message occurs within a trade chain so only a few of the 'object properties'
of many of the objects is known at the outset of the transaction and -
hopefully at the end all the data has been 'filled in'. Another reason for
different views is the different context of the messages e.g. geography,
industry etc. but this is catered for by MIGs  which change the 'objects' to
individual context but at the price of lack of interoperability.

All for now

Cheers, Phil