Subject: Re: To get things started.... Data formats..

Betty,

I appreciate where you're coming from from a technical perspective.
Basically you're advocating using a layered approach to building software
whereby present/future ebXML software must be built upon all the layers of
specifications that are available from organisations as W3C and so forth.
I'm familiar with the argument, and on the surface it seems reasonable
enough.

In practice however, it leads to bad things occuring as you rightly point
out:

> There is a serious problem with using the '$'.  This signifys an
> entity within a dataflow.  Any parser who sees the $ will be
> looking for the closing delimiter ';', i.e., $myentity;.  If
> you have <date$> it is going to confuse the parser beyond
> belief.

So why not fix the problem ?

Why perpetuate it forever more ?

Why can't ebXML be better than previous attempts at XML ?

In fact, from a software engineering what you are saying about parsers and
'$' symbols is fundimentally incorrect.

You need to restudy how parsers work and what they are able to do.

Parsers are actually fed lexical rules which are an 'input'. The '$'
character is treated no differently than other characters. If you provide
the correct lexical rules, any sort of structured text can be 'parsed'. Your
statements are therefore a complete misrepresentation of the capabilities of
'parser' software.

Overall, what you are advocating is software that is so complex and
inefficient that it hardly even works. Demonstrated by the fact that if you
give it a '$' symbol then it gets "confused".

ebXML needs to move away from these flaky software engineering approaches
that you talk about and focus on reliability, security and traceability.
Otherwise most companies will stay with their fax machines or their EDI
systems.

At least a fax machine doesn't get confused if you accidently write a dollar
symbol on the page!

Take care

David Lyon