Subject: RE: where the qualifiers went...

Good People,

The hanging question is when are we going to have a sound UML model for
defining Core Components?

It is difficult (and I believe counter-productive) to 'define' a core
component (e.g., 'amount') when we haven't first defined and agreed upon a
UML model.

I would hope that the model that is developed would not support as a Core
Component 'totalAmountInDollars' or 'shipToParty'.  I would want the UML
model to support 'Amount' in an 'atomic' manner such that the properties
required to produce a 'whole/usable' semantic entity were an integral part
of the definition of Amount.  For 'amount', that would include a semantic
definition (or to my preference, a pointer to a body of XML containing the
definition in some standardized form); a data type (and by association to
the data type class, a set of properties linked to that class, such as range
limits); a currency designation (or a means to derive same from elsewhere in
the document or schema); a semantic constraint (e.g., some (super/)subset of
the ASC X12 DE 522 Amount Qualifier Code list.  NOTE: The ASC X12 Amount
Qualifier Code List is incomplete, because many segments which contain an
'Amount' DE use a semantic note in the segemnt definition to provide the
semantic constraint to a single constraint value (e.g., to represent 'Net'
amount).)

How an 'amount' is represented in a particular syntax must not be a factor
in defining 'amount' as a Core Component.

I am perfectly comfortable with having multiple physical representations of
an 'amount' in X12 syntax, in XML syntax, in EDIFACT syntax.
That X12 chooses to use semantic notes in some cases to constrain semantic
meaning, or perhaps uses a composite to relate the properties of an amount
is not a problem to me.  That one might define both an 'amount' XML element
having fixed or variable attributes to specify properties, or having
pointers to other elements which convey those same properties is not a
problem to me.  Defining a document in which there is no documented way to
associate an amount with its required properties is a problem to me.

It is instructive to look at each of the X12 segments in which one or more
'amount' DE's are defined.  There are some instances in which a property of
an 'amount' cannot be discerned from the segment documentation.  There are
also instances in which a semantic constraint property has multiple
simultaneous values.  And there is at least one instance in which the
ability to express an amount in non-numeric terms is provided.

Cheers,
         Bob