Subject: Re: HHS HIPAA FAQ Analysis Draft #1

Chris Feahr says "Vision care looks like an excellent place to prototype
the ebXML approach to a real-live, HIPAA standard.  This would also
provide the greatest opportunity for our software developers to preserve
their investment in Web/XML EDI."  He asks "...if the JCC Project is
ready to consider taking it to this level?"

The EWG/X12 Joint core component work group will be jump-starting the
effort begun by the ebXML Core Components group, at least until
UN/CEFACT decides where the work will reside permanently.  See the
"Statement from the CSG on the forward direction for UN/CEFACT's
E-Business standards, at http://www.unece.org/cefact/.  In the meantime,
the JCC will meet at the X12 Trimester meeting scheduled in St. Louis
the week of June 4th.  See "To get things started...." at
http://lists.ebxml.org/archives/ebxml-dev/200105/msg00001.html for the
agenda of the St. Louis meeting.

William J. Kammerer
FORESIGHT Corp.
4950 Blazer Pkwy.
Dublin, OH USA 43017-3305
+1 614 791-1600

Visit FORESIGHT Corp. at http://www.foresightcorp.com/
"accelerating time-to-trade"

the ebXML initiative looks very applicable to problems we are facing in
Vision.  The present "de-facto standard" for handling the most complex
payor business model (the one that is most different from the X12 approach)
is entirely web-based.  The payor who developed this proprietary model has
been moving steadily toward XML integration between its web-portal
functions and several commercial Windows-based office management
applications.  Since we have virtually no other EDI activity happening in
Vision (and, therefore, no legacy EDI models to worry about migrating
from)... Vision care looks like an excellent place to prototype the ebXML
approach to a real-live, HIPAA standard.  This would also provide the
greatest opportunity for our software developers to preserve their
investment in Web/XML EDI.

Does anyone know if the JCC Project is ready to consider taking it to this
level?

-Chris

At 08:42 PM 5/23/01 -0500, Rachel Foerster wrote:
>Peter, et al,
>
>Before you try to design something new as you describe below I would
>recommend you take a look at the recently approved ebXML Message Services
>specifications. It addresses all of what you mention below and the payload
>for an ebXML message can be X12, XML, or whatever is needed. There's no need
>to redesign that which has already been designed by some of the best
>technical minds in the world.
>
>All of the ebXML specifications can be freely downloaded at
>http://www.ebxml.org
>
>Rachel Foerster
>Principal
>Rachel Foerster & Associates, Ltd.