Subject: Re: [Fwd: Example Scenarios Used Within the Aerospace Industry]

Well, I always have problems with people who are only pointing out problems
with no possible solutions and somehow on this thread I have turned into one
of them. So I will at least make an effort to point out a possible solution
or two.
Here goes
One obvious solution is of course to give verticals no leeway and define a
"universal PO" or a "universal Acknowledgement" and so on. Now realizing
that airline people and RosettaNet people can't even agree on what fields
and information should be in a Purchase Order (which is pathetic state of
affairs BTW) I will go on to my second possible solution.
Lets say airline industry as a vertical does come up with its "own PO" or
its "own acknowledgement" within ebXML framework. Lets say RosettaNet does
the same thing for technology vertical. All is fine and good except we are
starting to head in the direction of EDI again in some ways (not all but
some ways). Things are only going to get worse with time (I'll put that in
an envelope in writing to be opened at a future date). So what do we do now.
Now one possible idea is that every ebXML platform should be required to be
able to produce a version of the PO which is "Universal". Airline industry
can produce its "own PO" and that is fine but at the same time "a universal
PO" is also produced from the same information. This Universal PO is minimal
and sticks to only mandatory fields that should be in any PO. Without this
information PO simply will not be able to be processed successfully. Hence
the name Universal PO. Now when one vertical wants to do business with
another vertical, they really don't have to explain to each other what their
format of the PO is and what are they going to use among each other because
that will just produce a hotch potch. What they do is they send each other
the "universal" version and every ebXML platform if required to minimally
produce and accept this universal version of a PO, things go very smoothly
in a very simple uncomplicated way and people will not be pulling their hair
out.
Sincerely,
Abid